duminică, 8 iulie 2012

I agree entirely


"On day in a restaurant, outside of space and time,
I was served up love as a dish of cold tripe.
I politely told the missionary of the kitchen
That I preferred it hot,
Because tripe (and it was Oporto-style) is never eaten cold.

They got impatient with me.
You can never be right, even in a restaurant.
I didn't eat it, I ordered nothing else, I paid the bill,
And I decided to take a walk down the street.

Who knows what this might mean?
I don't know, and it happened to me . . .

(I know very well that in everyone's childhood there was a garden,
Private or public, or belonging to the neighbor.
I know very well that our playing was the owner of it
And that sadness belongs to today.)

I know this many times over
But if I asked for love, why did they bring me
Oporto-style tripe that was cold?
It is not a dish that can be eaten cold,
But they served it to me cold.
I didn't make a fuss, but it was cold.
It can never be eaten cold, but it came cold."

F. PESSOA


"I'd like to be able to like liking.
Just a second . . . Grab me a cigarette
From the pack lying on the top of the nightstand.
Go on . . . you were saying
That in the development of metaphysics
From Kant to Hagel
Something was lost.
I agree entirely.
I really was listening.
Nondum amabam et amare amabam - St Augustine.
What odd associations of ideas we sometimes have!
I'm tired of thinking about feeling anything else.
Thanks. Excuse me while I light up. Go on. Hagel . . ."
  
F. PESSOA


Niciun comentariu:

Trimiteți un comentariu